Level Measurement Technology
Two Groups of Level Measurement -
1.Point Measurement (Discrete)
2. Continuous Measurement (Analog)
Common Types of Level Measurement Technologies
This is one of the oldest level measurement technology.
A worker drops a length of pre-measured rope until a float contact the material surface.
Human Non- reputability
Process damage from broken cable
Measure time of flight from transmission to received echo.This determines distance and calculates level.
Advantages of Ultrasonic Level Measurement-
Control Capabilities (Pumping and alarm)
Potted/robust transducer for vibration and shock (No electronics in vessel)
Disadvantages of Ultrasonic Level Measurement-
Sensitive to vapor changes in medium
Can be sensitive to foam
Limited pressure and temperature range
Measure time of flight from transmitted signal to return signal for distance measurement.
Advantages of Radar Level Measurement-
Insensitive to vapor and dust
Unaffected by temperature and pressure
Very long ranges (up to 100 m)
Disadvantages of Radar level measurement-
Can be sensitive to foam
Can be sensitive to very heavy condensate
Display and antenna are integral
4.Guided Wave Radar (GWR) or Capacitance (Contacting)
Both technologies use a rod or cable which extends into the material being measured.
Advantages of Guided Wave Radar or Capacitance level Measurement
Able to measure the liquid-liquid interface of two imiscible liquids
Wide temperature / Pressure range up to 427 deg C or up to 431 bar
Disadvantages of Guided Wave Radar or Capacitance level Measurement
Can be sensitive to material build up
Wear in solids
Pull forces on roof-solids applications
Equipment damage from broken rods.
5. Hydrostatic Level (Contacting)
Measure head pressure of material in vessel
Advantages of Hydrostatic Level Measurement
Easy to use
Complex internal geometry possible
Suitable for high temperature and pressure
Most common level measurement in all industries
Disadvantages of Hydrostatic Level Measurement
Contacting - chemical compatibility with seals
Susceptibility to specific gravity changes may require recalibration
Adds fitting/piping to system if not submersible
Related Industry Knowledge
- The use method of liquid level tran...
- Classification of liquid level tran...
- Selection of the type of liquid lev...
- What is the thickness gauge
- Radiation thickness Gauge
- Precautions for use of coating thic...
- Proper instrumentation
- Instrument malfunction and fault re...
- Common troubleshooting method for e...
- The invention of electromagnetic fl...
- Principle of Magnetic flow meter - ...
- Ultrasonic high strength concrete
- Working principle of magnetic flowm...
- Positive Displacement flowmeters
- How to use 4 wire and 2 wire transm...
- What is the difference between main...
- What are the applications of Guided...
- Difference between ZBL-R630A rebar ...
- How to Calibration Rebar detector